Sunday, February 1, 2009

Reflections on the eve of a quarter-century

Contrary to personal tradition, I'm actually handling this turning-of-a-calendar-page fairly well. A small bowling party and a peaceful breakfast/lunch marked the occasion, and I'm more than okay with that. I have, notably, NOT aged well in the past but I've felt fairly peaceful towards the end of my first 25 years on Earth.

There are a lot of things I've been meaning to say. I sort-of compiled a list of "New Years' Resolutions" but didn't feel motivated enough to write them down (because the weren't fully fleshed out at the time) but I will disclose my big one, which (given the hype!) is INCREDIBLY BORING:

I am trying to eliminate High Fructose Corn Syrup from my diet.

Lame, right? But HFCS is terrible for you--read any literature (that isn't paid for by the people that grow corn!) and you will learn some disturbing things about diabetes (and the switch of terminology from 'adult onset' to 'Type II' diabetes, that is directly connected to the nations' consumption of HFCS. It's pretty disturbing.)

So that's my big goal. Obviously once in a while I'll still have a regular soda, and I think that's okay. But it's my big goal.

Other than that, I must say, one of my bigger goals for my second quarter-century on Earth is to be a better friend.

I am, with my own awareness, a fairly shitty friend in a lot of ways. I get tunnel-vision, where I only focus on the 10-or-so people I see most often, and everyone else falls by the wayside. I don't mean for this to happen and I truly dislike it. This is something that I am aiming to change.

So, I must to big Adieu! to my first quarter-century of this life; I hope that I may live the second quarter century and beyond to its' very fullest. I hope the next 25 years are kind, honest, peaceful -- and, beyond all, -- fair, for all. (whether they read my sporadic thoughts or not).

2 comments:

jordan.krogman said...

Please forgive me stupidity.
I bought a card for you long before your birthday. The kids signed their names and we left you a heartfelt quarter-of-a-century birthday message. I took it out to our mailbox and walked away, feeling pretty pleased with the fact that I had not only remember your birthday, but got a card in the mail with time to spare. YAY me!
Well...a few days later Calvin asked if I'd bothered to check the mail. Actually, I hadn't. We've been so busy with moving and unpacking and painting and whatnot that I hadn't even thought about the mail. So I marched down the driveway only to find that your card was still inside. :c(
I guess the mailman hasn't stopped at our house yet, but is still delivering mail to our apartment. So...I want you to know that we had GREAT intentions! I will get your much belated card in the mail the next time I get to a public mailbox...even if it seems silly to send it out at this point.
I heard that you guys are having an exciting night of babysitting. I hope things have calmed down by now and that you're having a great night with baby Abby.

jordan.krogman said...

And p.s.
by "me stupidity" I clearly meant "my stupidity". Blogger needs to give the option to edit a comment. How irritating!!