Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Stressed

Exactly 24 hours from now, I will be having my annual review.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more nervous, tense and generally stressed-to-the-breaking-point person than me right now (except, probably, me in about 20 hours from now, ha!).

Question is, why am I so stressed by this? I am, by all known accounts, a good employee who has vastly exceeded the expectations laid out for her when she was hired. I took on more in my first few months than they likely thought I would have taken on in a whole year.

On the other hand, I come in late more often than not and have gone way over the budgeted hours on a few projects recently.

My rebuttal, should those things come up tomorrow: I also stay late, more often than not, and do work on the weekends; I am younger and newer and less experienced than my colleagues, so it's natural that I am slower at some things. Not only that, but not once has someone told me how many hours have been budgeted for things that I'm doing. So, I end up spending as many hours as it takes!

I'm also dreading this because my boss tends to favor the "I'll ask you questions about your performance and have you review yourself" style of review. I'm notoriously hard on myself, so I'm afraid that I'll spend the 90 minutes trashing my performance over the last year.

No comments: