Monday, September 8, 2008

An ode to salsa fresca

I think I could eat salsa fresca until I literally exploded into a big mess of tomato, onion, pepper and intestines.

It's become my Monday ritual after picking up the CSA veggies, and it's one of the only ways that I will eat raw tomatoes! I think most people are aware of my particular feelings about tomatoes... I hate the insides! They're so smushy and yucky, and I like my vegetables to be crunchy!

I'm going to be very sad when the tomato season is up and I can no longer make my delicious salsa fresca. I'm considering going out and buying a bunch of veggies, making a huge bunch of salsa and freezing it! But I'm not sure if it would be as yummy as it is when it's fresh. I think I may have become a fresh salsa fanatic, I'm a snob who can no longer stomach store-bought salsa!

Lauren's Salsa Fresca
2T olive oil
2T lemon or lime juice
1 bunch cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Freshly ground pepper
Salt
Hot sauce
4 or 5 tomatoes
1/2 green pepper
1/2 onion
1 sweet banana pepper
1 Jalapeno pepper

1. Put the oil, juice, and spices in a medium bowl (I use a tupperware container that can go right in the fridge).

2. Dice vegetables. Put them in the bowl with the oil and spices and stir. Add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: