Sunday, August 3, 2008

Great-Uncle Luther

I received an email this evening informing me that my maternal grandfather's twin brother had died.

Apparently he and my grandad Wes (they were named Wesley and Luther...my family isn't Norwegian or anything, ha!) were in a car accident and, while Grandad only suffered a couple bruises and such, Luther wasn't so lucky and, long story made short, was removed from life support once the immediate family had gathered.

Due to strained relations with my mother's family, I only met him a handful of times. The last time I saw them was probably when I was 6 or 7 years old.

What I do remember is that when I graduated high school, he and his wife Joan sent me a check and a lovely letter, reminding me that the University of Toledo was only an hour or so from their home in Ann Arbor, MI, and that I would be invited to dinner the first week I was settled at school!

I, of course, was obliged to write a polite, if slightly awkward, letter back to them informing them that they were misinformed--I was to be attending the University of Toronto in the fall. But thanks regardless!

No comments: