Tuesday, August 19, 2008

(More) Vegetables

Got more CSA veggies yesterday (this was week 8 of ... 12? 16? How long is the growing season? ETA: CSA deliveries continue until Oct 27th... 18 weeks!) More corn, more onions, lots more tomatoes, more summer squash and basil and green peppers. And more beets.

Beets are weird. Today I tried a pretty well-reviewed recipe from All Recipes for roasted beets with sautéed beet greens. The beet greens were pretty tasty, with toasted sesame oil (best oil EVER, fyi), garlic and pepper. The beets were a different story. They were roasted... but they were still beets. Beets are so weird! They are bright red and they're so sweet, but they're a root vegetable! But I threw some salt and pepper and some fancy vinegar from the Asian grocery store down the street (I LOVE the Asian grocery store! So cheap and so Asian!) and they were tolerable. I think Ryan liked them. Not that either of us are going to run out and buy more beets at the market.

So, the current veggie stock:
• 1 3lb cabbage
• 4 green peppers
• decent amount of green beans
• 1 red onion
• 1 summer squash
• 1 tomato (would have put it in the fresh salsa I made today, but it didn't look quite ripe)
• 4 cucumbers
• 7 ears of sweet corn
• Basil

The upside of this is that Ryan's big birthday barbecue is this Sunday, so I will make up grilled cabbage, boil the sweet corn and chop up some of the green pepper and cucumber for a crudité plate!

Hosting a party = forcing friends and family to eat my vegetables before they go bad. I love it.

No comments: