Sunday, November 2, 2008

Once more unto the breach!

Ah, another Sunday night, looking towards the beginning of the work week. It's funny easily you become comfortable with a lifestyle: When I was first laid off, I freaked out with all of the time that I had at home, doing nothing, watching daytime television, etc. I quickly got used to it. Now, going to work feels so very strange.

I think we are starting to get down to brass tacks on wedding things. We've gone to look at a number of places: Blaisdell Manor, Van Dusen Mansion, Bayview Event Center, and the American Swedish Institute. Some of those we liked, some of those we didn't like, but all of them were oh-so-expensive! Well, they weren't actually that expensive in terms of wedding costs, but the scale of wedding costs as opposed to normal, everyday costs is extraordinary! I suppose, as my sister's very wise friend said, that this kind of thing is why people work hard and save money on the everyday things--it's for stuff like vacations, houses and weddings and if you work hard and save up the money, there is no reason to feel bad about spending money on a wedding.

Or perhaps the wedding industry is getting their message to sink in to my subconsious! I very much want both things: a simple, basic wedding that costs no money, and a lovely grand affair with all of our friends and family present. I want to keep my last name as a symbol to the world that I am my own woman and that I don't need to follow anyone's traditions, and I want to take Ryan's name because I love him and it seems romantic and that some parts of me really wants to have the "team name". Mostly, I just want to have a date, and a site picked out and set. I want that big thing done so that we can find a person to marry us, and a person to do the flowers and to make us a cake, etc etc etc.... I am almost beyond caring about the cost, just to find a place that will convince me that they have things on their end handled.

I am excited and nervous, nervous, nervous about the election on Tuesday. As a liberal person it's been easy, the past 10 years, to get excited about an election that looks like it'll go well for "our side" and then have it all fall apart. So nothing's for sure, nothing's a given. I want Norm Coleman out of office. I loathe him. Keith Ellison is pretty much a lock for re-election; good on 'im.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Death to Coleman!